Sunday, October 31, 2010

in this town we call home, everyone hail to the pumpkin song...

It's Halloween. One of my favourite holidays. And yet, I'm not excited about it this year. Sure, I threw together a costume for our work Halloween lunch and my friend's party last night, but otherwise, nothing. I haven't decorated our house, I haven't carved our pumpkins, I didn't even get candy that we like to hand out. (We don't need candy would be part of the reason. The other being that last year we had so many kids, not just teenagers but little kids, without costumes and who were demanding 'more' when we'd hand out our handful of candy to each of them, that I didn't feel like giving out great candy this year if it's just going to be unappreciated like that...)

I don't know if it's just that I'm outgrowing Halloween, or if this year it's even more bittersweet because of the loss. One of the things I'm looking most forward to with my children is Halloween. I loved this holiday as a kid and spent hours planning out my costumes and figuring out our trick-or-treat route. Had things not been different I would have been 26 weeks pregnant. I'd be dreaming of next year when I'd have a little one to dress up and introduce to Halloween (even though they'd be too young to understand, I know). At this rate, I can't even be sure I'll be pregnant next Halloween, let alone have a baby. *sniff*.

Okay, enough of the pity party.

On a different note - I hope the trick-or-treaters tonight have picked warm costumes. We got 6 cms of snow last night! It's starting to melt this morning, but it's still only supposed to go up to 3C today. Burr. Reminds me of Halloweens of my childhood - I know there were a few times I trick-or-treated in the snow in Winnipeg.


Our first Halloween in Winnipeg (I think)

Anyway, today I will attempt to find my Halloween spirit, by carving our pumpkins, roasting the seeds, and watching a scary movie. Or at least a Halloween-themed movie. Maybe scary is too ambitious. I don't really do scary movies well any more - too many nightmares...

Happy Halloween. What are you doing to celebrate tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment